Its that time of year again, the one where the Trout fishing starts and the Grayling take a break. Its also the time when I finish winter projects such as tying for others and fly swaps. Todays subject is the Beady-Eyed Damsel nymph which I have just done for a swap. I haven’t tied or fished these for a while so took the chance when the swap came up on the vfb mail list. The web site may be gone but the list still lives. I changed a few things!
The tail now is tied with the fluffy stuff at the base of the partridge feather which is normally thrown
on the floor in the bin. The wing case as now changed to olive shell back material, much stronger than the previous feather wing case. The other change was the tying thread, on the old version I used olive thread but this time, I chose monofilament or in my case invisible thread from the craft/sowing shop. Its basically the same thing and cheaper which means I can use it more. This stuff appears to come in different strengths, even more if you include the mono from the fly shop (or just a plain simple fishing tackle shop).
The materials required are-
Hook- 8-12 nymph hook (your choice)
Thread- Mono (fine)
Tail- The fluffy waste (plus a few mottled fibres) from a dyed olive English partridge feather
Body- Olive Sparkle blend (I used umpqua).